Fashion and food are the first two things that come to my mind when thinking of Italy. So with the start of Milan Fashion Week, I’m not sure if I’ll be more upset about missing the dazzling parties and shows or the magnificent food! How could one possibly choose?? As Milan was the first place I encountered squid ink pasta, I thought it an appropriate recipe to mark the beginning of Milan Fashion Week. Enjoy, Katie x
Squid Ink Pasta with Porcini Mushrooms
Cooking time: 15 minutes
250 g squid ink pasta
30 g porcini, dried or fresh
1 tbsp. porcini paste
60 ml Vermouth
350 ml chicken stock/ vegetable stock
2 cloves garlic
30 g parsley
3 tbsp. crème fraiche
1 tbsp. olive oil
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
Parmesan, for serving
- Bring 200 ml of chicken stock to simmer and the pour over dried porcini mushroom in a small bowl. Leave to soak for 20 minutes, then drain, saving 50 of the liquid for sauce.
- Bring water to boil in a large saucepan, adding a pinch of salt.
- When water is at a rolling boil, add your pasta and a tsp. or so of olive oil. Stir occasionally so the pasta doesn’t stick to the pan or itself! Pasta will take 8-10 minutes to cook. Once al dente, drain.
- While waiting for pasta to cook, pop a large skillet over a medium heat and add your crushed garlic, ground pepper, porcini mushrooms and olive oil. Sauté for a few minutes, allowing mushrooms cook.
- Add porcini paste and let simmer for a minute or two.
- Then add half of the vermouth, the remaining chicken stock, including the saved stock, to the pan and stir. Let simmer for 5-7 minute to thicken.
- Add crème fraiche and the rest vermouth and stir through.
- Add pasta and parsley to the skillet and toss sauce through.
- Serve with Parmesan, enjoy!