On such a beautiful day where we are all daydreaming of lulling at the beach or lounging in the park, I thought I’d share a perfect treat for summer picnics or festivals- fig and walnut mini babas. These syrupy, buttery, sweet little cupcakes are easily transported, can be baked in advance and are ideal for sharing, making them the most decadent desert on the run! Enjoy, Katie x
Cooking time: 20 minutes plus prep time
Serves: » 60 mini cupcakes
3 ripe figs
100g caster sugar
150g plain flour
110g butter- softened
1 sachet yeast
100 ml milk
100g walnuts- toasted and crushed
1 kg caster sugar
3 tbps. Marsala
1.5L Kilner or Mason jar
Mini cupcake tins/patties
- Sift the plain flour into a large mixing bowl with your yeast and sugar.
- Warm your milk and then add the butter and eggs.
- Mix into the flour, being careful not to allow lumps to form and then leave the bowl in a warm spot allowing the yeast to activate.
- Preheat your oven to 180°
- Once your dough has doubled in size, finely chop your figs and add to the mix with the walnuts. Cover and once again allow to rise in a warm spot.
- Evenly spoon the cake dough into mini cupcake moulds and then pop into the oven.
- Allow to cook until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Once cooked, leave the cupcakes to cool and get started on your syrup; pop the sugar and water into a small heavy based saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once the syrup thickly coats the back of a spoon add the Marsala.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Pop the cupcakes into your Kilner jar and top with the syrup.
- Seal when still warm.
- Serve and enjoy!